Sunday, December 4, 2011

12 Days of Thankfulness. Day 4



Day 4: Motherhood

Boys Boys Boys.

I am the mother of two boys. And for that I'm thankful.

But it wasn't always that way.

When I first found out that I was pregnant, I went along for the routine ultrasound which would tell me the sex of my baby. I waited for the the sonographer to tell me what I already knew.
 That I was having a baby girl.

"It's a boy" she exclaimed.

"A boy???"

I faked a smile.
Then cried all the way home.
I should've just been happy to be pregnant.  I should've been, but I wasn't. I really wanted a girl.






I was one of four girls. My mom has six sisters and one brother. My dad has five sisters.
I was surrounded by girls. Girl World.
What did I know about boys?
The only image I could conjure up in my head was based on the childhood rhyme I grew up with


"What are little girls made of...sugar and spice and all things nice
What are little boys made of...snakes and snails and puppy dog tails"


My mom said "God made pregnancy last 9 months for a reason,"
And she was right. It wasn't all about the physical changes to me my baby.
 It was also about letting go of my "expectations"



And so, on Dec 29th 1998 my son Elliot was born. A beautiful baby boy.
My heart did a 360, my head quickly followed.
Two years later he had a brother, Ethan


My world became  one of cars, trucks and trains. Grass stained pants with holes in the knees.
Odd socks and rocks that end up in my washing machine
And always, always a "little puppy smell"


I wouldn't change a thing. I'm a mother of two adventurous little boys. And I'm thankful.


Now excuse me, as much as would love to spend the day blogging about boys,
I have to prepare for a birthday party
I will be spending the afternoon shooting a bunch
of 13 year old boys at LaserQuest


I guess boys will be boys


What's Playing:

In the Kitchen:
Cake Pops (for Elliot's Birthday Party)

In the Music Player:
Mary's Boy Child: Boney M
What Child Is This?: Alana Bridgewater (Gospel Christmas Project)

In My Heart:
 Psalm 127: 3
Children (sons) are a heritage from the Lord, they are a reward from Him


And remember...

1 comment:

naomirachelle said...

Love it Elaine...and you have 2 wonderful boys - like their mother!

Post a Comment